10 Exercise Myths that Won’t Die, Debunked by Science
March 29, 2012
"No pain, no gain!" "You’ll never bulk up without supplements." "Crunches are the key to six-pack abs!" It seems there are more questions and half-truths in the market about healthy exercise than there are clear, definitive facts—but the exercise industry is a multi-billion dollar business in the United States alone, built partially on selling gadgets and DVDs with incredible claims to people desperate to lose weight or look attractive.
Meanwhile, good workout plans and simple truths lurk in the background waiting for their time to shine. All of this results in a ton of misinformation about exercise in general, and while the reality is different for everyone, we’re taking some of those commonly held exercise myths to task, and we have science to back us up. Let’s get started.
Myth 1: No Pain, No Gain
Myth 2: Soreness After Exercise is Caused by Lactic Acid Building Up in Your Muscles
Myth 3: Exercise Takes Long Hours/Is Worthless If I Can’t Exercise Regularly
Myth 4: You Need a Sports Drink When Exercising to Replenish Your Body’s Electrolytes/Minerals/Etc
Myth 5: Stretching Before Exercise Will Prevent Injury
Myth 6: Working Out Will Only Build Muscle, Not Help Me Lose Weight
Myth 7: Exercise Will Help Me Lose Weight Quickly
Myth 8: You Need to Take Supplements to Build Muscle
Myth 9: If You Don’t Exercise When You’re Young, It’s Dangerous When You Get Older
Myth 10: Working Out at Home/Working Out at the Gym is Better than Working Out at Home/Working Out at the Gym
Read the full article on Lifehacker.
- Body Building Myths That Must Die!
- 7 Lasting Myths About Fasting
- So You Wanna be a Fitness Model
- Weight Training for Women
- 10 Exercise Myths that Won’t Die, Debunked by Science
- Death of Circuit Training?
- The Best Cardio Intervals for Fat Loss: Part 2
- The Best Cardio Intervals for Fat Loss: Part 1
- Turbulence Training Workouts for a Busy Gym
- Gain Muscle and Lose Fat – Get Lean and Jacked Workout A
- Gain Muscle and Lose Fat – TT Meatheads IV: Get Lean and Jacked Workout B
- Gain Muscle and Lose Fat – TT Meatheads IV: Get Lean and Jacked Workout C
- Handstand Pushups in France
Sign up for the free Daily newsletter, filled with tips and ideas on health, fitness, weight loss, supplements, and more. Your email address will be kept confidential and won't be shared. Easily unsubscribe at any time.
If you enjoy the free information available on this site, you're sure to enjoy the free newsletter as well:
Site Search Tags:Aerobics Training, Core Stability, Fitness Training, Personal Training, Strength Training, Stretching & Flexibility, Weight Training